COVID-19: OUR COMMITMENT TO OUR TEAMS AND COMMUNITIES
April 16, 2020
An update to our Canadian community,
It has been a few weeks since my last letter and the world has changed considerably since then. But one thing remains truer and stronger, even with social distancing, people are collaborating and helping one another. I wanted to share how our own KFC family is banding together during these challenging times to support our larger community.
Supporting our Communities
KFC first came to Canada in 1955, and we now call more than 200 Canadian cities home. We love being a part of each one of these local communities, and we are committed to supporting those in need, especially during these critical times.
- Across local communities, we are working with our charitable partners to expand our food donations through KFC Harvest, a national program where we donate surplus chicken to local charities. We have also expanded our Harvest program during this time to include additional items for donation including fresh produce. You can read more on this long running initiative here: https://www.kfc.ca/harvest.
- With the support of the Yum! Foundation, KFC, along with Pizza Hut and Taco Bell Canada, has donated $50,000 USD to Food Banks Canada to help those affected by food insecurity during the COVID-19 crisis.
Feeding our Frontline Heroes
I continue to be humbled and inspired by the incredible efforts of frontline heroes fighting against COVID-19. To recognize their efforts, our KFC franchisees have been showing their appreciation to their local community’s frontline heroes by delivering thousands of meals to staff at hospitals, first responder stations and charities. Some examples include a partner that dedicated a KFC kitchen in downtown Toronto to cook over 5,000 meals in one week for local hospitals, police stations, transit employees, homeless shelters and soup kitchens around the city. Our partners across the country are offering curbside pickup to truck drivers who continue to put in long hours to service our communities. Thank you to our incredible franchise partners for their leadership.
Keeping People Safe
During these challenging times, people continue to remain our priority. We are focused on ensuring that KFC is the safest place to work and eat. To achieve that, in addition to further strengthening our already stringent hygiene, cleaning and sanitization procedures, we continue to be innovative in our contactless solutions. These include, but are not limited to:
- Delivery: Fully cashless and contactless service. We are also using tamper-evident seals so that your food travels safely.
- Order Ahead: Curbside pickup options at select restaurants where take-out ordering is not available.
- Take-out: Where possible, we are adding plexiglass barriers to the order point and floor decals for both our lobbies and kitchens to ensure team members and guests alike know where to stand to ensure a safe distance.
As this situation evolves, so will we. If you would like to share your feedback on how you think we are doing, we would love to hear from you. We are in this together and learning together, after all.
A Heartfelt Thank You to Our KFC Family
You may have noticed that I referred to our team as family throughout this message. At KFC, we have always thought of our franchisees, restaurant managers and team members, and suppliers as members of the KFC Canada family – and the COVID-19 situation has only heightened our pride and appreciation for each and every one of you. At a time when there is so much uncertainty and unknown, your bold leadership, courage and heart are stronger than ever. You truly make the Colonel proud.
President and General Manager, KFC Canada